Lost or Found


How to prevent a lost pet

  •  Always keep your pets indoors (especially cats and small dogs)
  • Keep dogs within a secure fence
  • Make sure your pet is wearing ID tags with your address and phone number
  • Keep recent photographs of your pet
  • Have your pet microchipped and be sure to keep the records up to date if you move or get a new phone number
  • Maintain written records of your pet (size, color, unique markings) and, if someone else is caring for your pet, ensure they have access to this information

If you find a stray animal

BE CAREFUL WITH STRAY ANIMALS. If you have found a stray animal, call your local Animal Control officer. Animal Control numbers are listed at the bottom of this screen. If you are comfortable handling stray animals and are absolutely sure the animal will not harm you, attempt to leash and recover the animal. Be very careful when approaching an unfamiliar animal since it may be frightened, injured, or hungry and may have been abused. When in doubt, let Animal Control handle the situation. It can help if you are able to describe the address or precise location of the stray and keep it within eyesight until help arrives.

CHECK OUR RECORDS. Call the Humane Society at (360) 757-0445, email us at janine.c@skagithumane.com, or just stop by during business hours in order to see if the pet has been reported LOST by an owner.

CHECK WITH VETERINARIANS. Check with your local veterinary clinics to see if anyone is looking for the found animal. The clinics can also scan the animal to see if it has been microchipped.

MAKE POSTERS. Place them around town (especially near where the animal was found), at local veterinary clinics, and at the Humane Society of Skagit Valley. We have a bulletin board for lost and found animals.

PLACE AN AD. You can place a free ad with the Skagit Valley Herald for found animals. The ad will run for three days. You may call their classifieds department at (360) 424-4567 to place the ad or you may send them an e-mail at classified@skagitvalleyherald.com

Animal Control contact information

Skagit County Animal Control: Emily Diaz- (360) 428-3211

City of Mount Vernon: Emily DenHartog- (360) 336-6271

Town of Anacortes: Zabrina Nybo- (360) 293-4684

City of Burlington: Burlington Police Department- (360) 755-0921

City of Sedro Woolley: Laura Carr- (360) 855-0111

Town of LaConner: LaConner Police Department- (360) 466-3134

City of Arlington: Officer Chamberlin, Officer Copland- (360) 403-3400

Tribal Communities:

Swinomish: (360) 466-7237

Upper Skagit:(360) 856-5501

Sauk Suiattle: (360) 436-1438

Surrendering a pet or stray


If you have custody of a found animal, you can bring it the Humane Society of Skagit Valley during business hours (hours posted on "About Us" tab). Our open-admission policy is sometimes limited by available space. Please call first to ensure that we have an open kennel. We DO NOT EUTHANIZE HEALTHY, ADOPTABLE ANIMALS DUE TO SPACE CONSTRAINTS. Sometimes, this means that folks will need to get on a waiting list for an open spot. In this case, you can ask us to call you with regular updates. Surrender fees vary according to your address, as different areas and municipalities have different policies regarding stray animal care and funding. Bring proof of address and photo ID when surrendering a pet.

If you have lost a pet


CHECK THE HUMANE SOCIETY. Call the shelter during business hours and report your lost pet. Even if it seems your pet has not been found, it is best to visit the shelter and see for yourself if your pet has been brought in. We cannot emphasize how important it is for you to stop by the shelter at least every other day to check to see if your pet was brought in. Staff are not always informed about new arrivals and cannot correctly identify breed or age in 100% of cases. Your description over the phone cannot substitute for a look through our kennels.  

DO NOT GIVE UP! Occasionally people will feed an animal for days or even weeks before turning it into the Humane Society. Keep checking back. 

MAKE POSTERS. Make a poster with a picture of your lost pet and large print words indicating "LOST DOG" or "LOST CAT". Print as many as possible, and place them around town (especially near your home or where the animal was last seen), at local veterinary clinics, and at the Humane Society of Skagit Valley. Circulate posters to as many locations as possible (local businesses, shopping malls, telephone poles, pet stores, etc.). Offering a reward will help motivate people to look for your lost pet. You do not need to specify the amount of the reward on your flyer if you do not want to.  

CALL YOUR MICROCHIP HOTLINE. If your pet has been microchipped, call the microchip hotline. If you don't have the phone number, try calling the shelter or veterinary clinic where your pet got microchipped. They should be able to provide you with the correct contact information.  

CHECK WITH VETS. Check with your local veterinary clinics to see if anyone has found or brought in your animal. Notify your veterinarian that your pet is lost.  

PLACE AN AD. You can place an ad with the Skagit Valley Herald for lost animals for a small fee. You may call their classifieds department at (360) 424-4567 to place the ad or you may send them an e-mail at classified@skagitvalleyherald.com.  

USE THE MEDIA. Check with local radio and TV stations to see if they offer lost & found services. Use the web to your advantage.  

INVEST TIME AND ENERGY. Be sure to check in and around your neighborhood. Take the time to walk around and call to your pet. Be sure to carry a leash and some food to help lure your pet. Drive around your neighborhood at night since some lost pets will hide during the day; they may even recognize the sound of your car. Finally,

KEEP CHECKING THE SHELTER. Strays sometimes turn up weeks or months after they were lost. It is never too late to be reunited.